Phase 3 – Maintenance
Now that you have reached the conclusion of the Reduce 1x Diet there are some steps you want to take to ensure that you do not regain the weight that you have lost. The body has a natural tendency to regain weight that has been recently lost. The following steps will help to create a new “set point”, allowing your body to maintain the weight you have reached with the last application of your Reduce 1x.
Once you have stopped using the Reduce 1x … Continue the VLCD-calorie diet for 3 more days. It’s very common to see even more weight loss during these 3 days. It takes about 3 days for your body to eliminate the HCG from your system. In that time, fat can be easily regained if you begin to eat too many calories too soon after discontinuing the HCG.
Once you have come to the end of the 3 days after discontinuing the HCG ... For three weeks following the diet do the following:
- Avoid eating foods with refined sugars and starches (rice, breads, pastries, potatoes, etc.) for a period of 3 weeks. It takes about 3 weeks for the weight reached at the end of the HCG treatment to become stable. If carbohydrates are avoided, foods high in fat can be eaten very liberally. This step is one of the most important parts of the diet and, if followed, can prevent you from regaining the weight you lost during the diet.
- It is crucial to begin eating more than 500 calories during the next 3 weeks. Some people feel very good on the 500-calorie HCG diet. However, it is important that you do eat more than 500 calories after completing the HCG diet, and especially, that you eat foods high in protein, high in healthy fats and high in fiber. Most people should be eating at least 1500 calories. Protein (meats, nuts and eggs) is very important in this stage and should be consumed liberally.
- Protein: meats, nuts and eggs
- Fats: olive oil, canola oil, meats and raw nuts
- Fiber: fruits and vegetables
Refer to the Desirable Foods on the FOOD LIST page.
Weigh yourself daily. If you gain two or more pounds in a day… The morning you weigh yourself and see a two, or more, pound gain … skip breakfast and lunch (or substitute with one apple each) and eat a fair sized piece of steak or chicken with a tomato or apple for dinner. For many, this meal will result in a loss of the weight gained on the previous day.
Maintaining a healthy weight after the three-week maintenance period … One of the most positive outcomes of the HCG diet is the fact that most people do not crave the foods that contributed to their gaining weight in the first place. For a list of foods that will help you in maintaining your weight please see the Food List page.
- Try to eat the foods in the Desirable Foods column most frequently and eat the foods in the Foods in Moderation column less frequently. The goal is to avoid sweets as much as possible and minimize your intake of grains and dairy. This diet not only helps in maintaining a healthy weight, but also in balancing the hormones for the prevention of chronic disease and premature aging.
FatBGoneHCG – Ryan & Michele Allowitz, 970-234-1185, email@example.com
For the three week ‘maintenance’ phase
Most all vegetables – raw or steamed, but especially the mixed greens, Spinach, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Asparagus, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Celery, Red Radishes, Cucumbers, Sprouts, Green Beans, Onions, Garlic, Green and Red bell peppers.
Most fruit; including apple, berries, cherries, cantaloupe, grapefruit, honeydew, oranges, lemons, limes, pears, nectarines, grapes, peaches, plums, applesauce (without sugar).
Most raw,unsalted nuts and seeds
“White” fish (cod, flounder, trout, tuna in water), Most wild caught fish, wild salmon, cage free chicken and turkey (white meat no skin), Cornish hen, lean cuts of beef (preferably grass fed), venison, bison, egg substitutes (cholesterol free), organic cage free eggs, shellfish.
Olive oil, Canola oil, Coconut Oil (for cooking). Fish oils, avocados, and good quality mayonnaise.
Foods in Moderation
Coarse European -Style, Whole Grain wheat or Rye Pita Bread, Cracked or Sprouted Whole wheat, 100% Stone Ground whole Wheat, Pumpernickel, Rye Crisp Cracker
Compact noodle-like high bran cereals (All-Bran, Fiber One), Coarse Oatmeal, Porridge, Coarse Whole Grain (Kashi) Cereal mixed with Psyllium (Fiberwise)
Pasta, Grains and Starchy Vegetables:
Pasta (all types) Barley, Bulgur, Buckwheat (kasha) Couscous, Kidney Beans dry, (Lentils, Black-eyed peas, Chick-peas Kidney beans, Lima beans, Peas, Sweet Potato, Yam, soybeans, Rice, Boiled Potato, Corn Navy beans, Black beans, Baked beans, Brown rice, carrots, beets. (Beans may be canned as long as there is no added sugar or high fructose corn syrup.)
Skim, 1 %, cottage cheese (Iowfat or skim), buttermilk, low-fat plain yogurt, low-fat fruited yogurt, cheeses (very sharp cheeses are preferred).
Banana, Kiwi, Pineapple, raisins, Watermelon, Mango, papaya, orange juice.
Most cooked or roasted, salted nuts and seeds, peanut butter (only peanuts)
Higher fat farmed fish, (salmon, herring, tuna, etc.), Pork, Veal, eggs that are not cage-free.
Foods to Avoid
White bread, most commercial whole wheat breads, English muffins, bagels, French bread, most commercial matzoh, pastries.
Corn flakes, puffed rice, puffed wheat, flaked cereals, instant “Quick” or pre-cooked cereals. Oatbran. Shredded wheat, Muesli.
Pastas, Grains and Starchy Vegetables:
Instant rice, instant precooked grains, Baked potato, microwaved potato, instant potato, Winter squash ( acorn, butternut), parsnips.
Whole milk, ice milk, ice cream, yogurt sweetened with sugar, low-fa frozen· desserts with sugar added, low-fat and regular frozen yogurt with sugar added. tofu ice cream.
Fruit: Fruit juices sweetened with sugar.
Meats: Most cuts of beef, pork, lamb, hotdogs (including “low-fat’ versions), luncheon meats, peanut butter (brands ·like Jiff and Skippy)